General Leadership Characteristics of the Successful Candidate
Seasoned Judgment: applies broad knowledge and seasoned experience when addressing complex issues; defines strategic issues clearly despite ambiguity; takes all critical information into account when making decisions; makes timely, tough decisions; foresees obstacles and opportunities.
Empowering Others: Creates a climate that fosters personal investment and excellence; nurtures commitment to a common vision and shared values; gives people the opportunity of latitude to grow and achieve; promotes collaboration and teamwork.
Collaborating, Influencing, and Negotiating: Creates a climate that engages others and fosters personal investment and excellence; helps shape stakeholder opinions; projects a positive image; works through conflicts in a timely way; negotiates win/win solutions.
Inspiring Trust: Establishes open, candid, trusting relationships; treats all individuals fairly and with respect; behaves in accord with expressed beliefs and commitments; maintains high standards of integrity.
Mature Confidence/Adaptability: Realistically appraises own strengths and weaknesses; shares credit and visibility; maintains and projects confidence, maintains a positive outlook; works constructively under pressure; responds resourcefully to change and ambiguity.
Qualifications, Qualities, and Experiences
The Dean will be committed to academic excellence and student success and will have a distinguished record of teaching, scholarship, and leadership necessary to provide visionary direction for the School of Nursing and Health Studies within the parameters of the university’s mission and strategic plan.
The successful applicant will also have (but not be limited to) the following preferred specific attributes:
- An earned doctorate in a discipline appropriate to the School of Nursing and Health Studies;
- A current, or eligibility to obtain a, Registered Nurse license in the State of Washington;
- A record of academic achievement necessary for a tenured appointment at the rank of full Professor;
- A record of academic leadership and administrative experience in higher education;
- Experience with academic planning and implementation for undergraduate and graduate programs;
- Experience with accreditation processes and program assessment;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusivity in building a multicultural teaching and learning community;
- Demonstrated experience in seeking external funds through philanthropy, funded research development and other revenue generating activities;
- Knowledge and experience in fiscal management;
- Proven track record of mentorship of faculty and staff, and of creating an environment for mentoring activities and professional development;
- Experience in the application and evaluation of the scholarship of discovery, of integration, of application, and of teaching and learning;
- Experience with building partnerships, and fostering collaboration between the university and a wide range of healthcare partners, as well as embrace community engagement generally;
- Experience in engaging with community colleges in the development of innovative degree programs to increase student access to health-related degree programs;
- The ability to listen to and respect divergent views while building consensus and collegiality;
- Experience in developing collaborative initiatives with other units within an institution and in working collaboratively and effectively on behalf of the unit within a university system; and,
- Successful track record of facilitating professional development and advancement for faculty across all ranks and staff across all positions.
- Appointment to this position is contingent upon obtaining satisfactory results from a criminal background check.
Bachelor of Arts in Health Studies: This program provides the opportunity to work with our committed faculty to develop knowledge and skills useful for improving the health of individuals and communities.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing: This program offers two tracks: an RN to BSN program for transfer students who have completed an Associate in Nursing Degree with an RN license and a First Year Entry nursing program for university freshman students.
The Master of Nursing: This program prepares nurses for advanced leadership roles in health care practice, education, administration and research settings.
All University of Washington faculty engage in teaching, research, and service.
The Search Committee invites nominations, applications (a letter of interest, comprehensive curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three or more references) or expressions of interest to be submitted online http://apply.interfolio.com/39572. Finalists for the position will be required to provide 3 letters of recommendation. The selection committee will begin reviewing applications on January 23, 2017. The position is open until filled. For inquiries, please contact Marlene Manzo, firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a 9-month indefinite tenured position with dean duties extending through the summer months.
University of Washington is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.