Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
This position performs a variety of patient care, technical, and administrative duties to assist practitioners and other members of health care team in providing high quality patient care through health care system. The Medical Assistant participates as a team member in the overall functioning of the clinic. The Medical Assistant is responsible for the flow of the patients for assigned providers (as applicable) each day. They perform duties and procedures as described in the Primary Responsibilities section.
- Rooms patients and families to exam/procedure area
- Documents vital signs and other patient information per clinic policy
- Assists with procedures as directed
- Conducts clerical tasks, patient transport, cleaning and restocking of exam rooms and other requests to maintain clinic flow
- Recognizes symptoms of common medical illnesses, abnormal vs., and new/existing pain and immediately escalates to RN and/or provider
- Preforms Blood Draws as directed
- Acts as a liaison between patients/families and health care providers.
- Completion of a Medical Assistant course accredited by the American Association of Medical Assistants or the Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation (CAHEA).
- Certified Medical Assistant in the State of Washington and must be familiar with the State's conduct and standards of practice.
- Surgical Technologist Registration in the State of Washington State and must be familiar with the State's conduct and standards of practice (Application must be submitted within 1st 30-days of hire)
- Current BLS AHA Health Provider Card (or equivalent course, such as by the American Red Cross) and renewal required every two years
- Proficient in email and word processing systems
- Strong interpersonal and customer services skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced, complex healthcare environment
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and problem solve
- Ability to communicate (verbally and in writing) in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to follow direction and guidance
- Ability to recognize limitations and seek help
- Ability to identify learning needs and plan learning opportunities
This position is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. As such, full COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment, without exception. Booster doses are strongly recommended but not required. If declining a booster, completion of the COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form Questionnaire and COVID-19 Booster Declination Training is required. Because of our immunocompromised patient population, there are no medical or religious accommodations available for any employee who is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. Only employees whose positions are fully remote, who are not patient facing and/or require no access to clinical facilities, may apply for medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The hourly pay range for this position is from $23.77 to $33.84 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.